Two things happened last week that made it essential I pick-up my Philip Goff thread.
- Firstly there were a number of on-line philosophers – who should know better – reacting to Goff’s taboo-breaking promotion of pan-psychicism. Pigliucci, Churchland, Baggini, etc, (all people I otherwise respect) and more to the point their on-line hangers on, got quite hostile, to the point of misrepresenting and dismissively ridiculing what Goff is actually saying. A few of us responded in his defence –many tweets here. (Similar happened last year when Bernardo Kastrup was promoting his idealism.)
- Secondly, having signed-off from considering Goff, I found myself at a meeting of North-East Humanists where Goff was the speaker on his topic of pan-psychism. An excellent talk and subsequent discussions, that reinforced how close I am to agreeing with Goff in my own position.
[Holding Posts for now:
- Reading & Writing Catch-up in Jan 2020
- IOU Philip Goff (with post-notes)
- Goff’s Radical Dennett
- Process Ontology of Whitehead’s Metaphysics
Contemplating formatting the consolidated review for wider publication, beyond the blog. IStillOU]